Week 3 - Hike to Sunny Point
June 20 - 25
The peak of Sunny Point is a long trek for campers. Don’t’ worry! We’ll hike there together and learn about the closest star to Earth, the Sun, and how we can use it to help conserve or save energy.
Sunny Point is beautiful, bright, and warm. What do you know about the sun? Did you say the sun gives us light and heat? You’re right! Great work!
This week, we’ll use the power of the sun to make a solar oven and s’mores.
These are the items you’ll need for this week’s camp craft:
- A pizza box or something similar in size
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic wrap
- Dark construction paper
- Graham crackers
Visit your local library and check out any of these great reads to learn more about electricity!
- Chandra’s Magic Light : A Story in Nepal by Theresa Heine
- Harnessing Power from the Sun by Niki Walker
- Hello Sunshine, Good Night Moonlight
- How Solar Energy Works by Jennifer Swanson
- I Ate Sunshine for Breakfast by Michael Holland
- Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring the Earth to Life by Molly Bang
- My Light by Molly Bang
- Rivers of Sunlight: How the Sun Moves Water Around the Earth by Molly Bang
- Running on Sunshine: How Does Solar Energy Work? by Carolyn Cinami DeCristofano
- Sun by Alison Oliver
- Sun Flower Lion by Kevin Henkes
- Sun Up, Sun Down by Gail Gibbons
- Sun: One in a Billion by Stacy McAnulty